Pages

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Sunday Dinner 3.4.12

Back to my Sunday dinner posts!



Pearl Couscous with Pesto and Goat Cheese Gratin

This is one of my go to recipes.  I just really love it, and it is pretty simple.  This recipe is from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian.  This recipe is also very easily adaptable.  It calls for asparagus and mushrooms, but you can really use anything you want.  I have made it with broccoli and green beans, and I am sure there are tons of other delicious things to use instead.  But I like asparagus and mushrooms, so I use them most often.  

Ingredients:
1 shallot (I normally use about 1/3 of a yellow onion because they are cheaper and more easily accesible.  But I forgot it at the grocery store)
1 cup wild mushrooms
8 ounces asparagus cut into 1 inch peices
1/2 cup of cream, milk, stock, or water 
1/2 cup of pesto
1 egg
2 1/2 cups of cooked pearl couscous
4 ounces of goat cheese.

Side note: I dont really like to measure, so it may say something like 1 cup of mushrooms, but I just kind of put however many I feel like or how ever many look good.

I couldn't find regular pearl couscous at the grocery store, so I bought this:



It wasn't bad, the garlic I suppose added some more flavor, but I prefer plain pearl couscous.

Grease a dish and set oven to 350.

Heat oil in a pan and saute shallot, mushrooms and asparagus.  (I also added minced garlic) Add salt and pepper to taste.



Whisk the cream/milk/stock/water, egg, and pesto. 




When the veggies are done, stir in cooked couscous.  Spread in dish, and pour pesto mixture over top


Spread goat cheese over top.


 Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until sides are bubbling and the top has begun to brown.


 That's it!  Its really yummy and filling, and has a nice richness from the goat cheese.

If you try the recipe, let me know how you like it or how you adapted it!

Gaby

No comments:

Post a Comment